Meet the Director
Director of Engineering Village
Academic and Student Affairs
Niko Brown joined NC State University as the Director of the Engineering Village in Fall 2018. In additional to being the Director of the Engineering Village, Niko is also in the final stages of completing his doctoral work in Mechanical Engineering at SUNY Binghamton. His research focus is on the deposition and characterization of thin-films using electrospray printing. Prior to his graduate work, Niko received two Bachelor of Arts degrees from SUNY Geneseo in Physics and Mathematics. With Niko’s background in fundamental science, he strives to foster students success in their transition to NC State with a special focus on courses required for CODA.
Meet the Mentors
About the Mentors
The village mentor is a crucial component of a successful Engineering Village. Engineering Village mentors are upper-class, live-in students who work collaboratively with the Resident Advisors (RAs) to provide an enjoyable and educational village experience for all village residents, and serve as a liaison between the village community, University Housing and the College of Engineering. Mentors play a key role in reinforcing a comprehensive experience that blends the co-curricular with the academic. The overarching goal of the village mentor is to serve as a model of good leadership, as well as responsible academic and social behavior.
To support the village curriculum, mentors:
- Build relationships with village residents by scheduling dinners, socials, games and sharing their challenges and successes they experienced during their first year in the College of Engineering and the Engineering Village;
- Encourage village members to participate in hall, campus, and College of Engineering events and activities to facilitate peer connections and bonding;
- Serve as an academic mentor and support source for the challenging first-year courses in Calculus I, II, or III, Physics I and Chemistry. Because these courses are vital to CODA expectations, mentors are available to help students learn and take advantage of village and campus-wide resources, including academic engagement group, in-hall study groups, and in-hall tutoring and academic advising;
- Plan and implement team building and leadership development activities during village-sponsored trips; and
- Plan and implement the Village Speaker Series and Grand Challenges Competition